Chapter 13: Genetic Technology
Section 13.1 Resources:
- “Engineer a Crop: Selective Breeding” simuluation.
Section 13.2 Resources:
- “Engineer a Crop: Transgenic Manipulation” simulation.
- “Steps in Cloning a Gene” animation with audio.
- “Gel Electrophoresis” simulation.
Section 13.3 Resources:
- “The Human Genome Project” online videos.
- “DNA Fingerprint Lab” simulation
- “Space Doctor“: You are the doctor! Design and test gene therapy treatments with ailing aliens.
Links to go further:
- The Human Genome Project: http://www.genome.gov/10001772
- Gene technology and plants: http://www.science.org.au/nova/009/009key.htm
- An introduction to recombinant DNA: http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/Biotech-Environ/Projects . . .
- Pros and cons of genetically modified food: http://www.srtp.org.uk/gmfood1.htm
- Transgenic animals: http://www.bookrags.com/research/transgenic-animals-gen-04/
- The road to the cloning of Dolly: http://www.txtwriter.com/onscience/Articles/dolly.html
- What are the risks of cloning?: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/cloning/cloningrisks/
- What is gene therapy?: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/genetherapy/whatisgt/
- Gene therapy: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/Human_Genome/medi . . .
- How DNA evidence works: http://science.howstuffworks.com/dna-evidence3.htm