Chapter 11: DNA and Genes
Chapter 11 Outline (word doc).
Section 11.1 Resources:
- Take a “Journey Into DNA.”
Section 11.2 Resources:
- “Build a DNA Molecule” simulation.
- Simulate DNA replication and protein synthesis with the “DNA Workshop Activity.”
- “Transcribe and Translate a Gene” simulation.
Section 11.3 Resources:
- “How Cancer Grows” is an animation for mutation of DNA to form cancerous tumor.
- Do the “Gene Mutations and Proteins” Minilab.
- “DNA and Genes” review.
- “DNA and Genes” crossword puzzle.
- “DNA and Genes” word search puzzle.
- Online “DNA and Genes” crossword puzzle.
Links to go further:
- DNA fingerprint simulation: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sheppard/analyze.html
- Four videos requiring Real Player on “DNA Structure,’ “DNA replication,” “Protein Synthesis: Transcription,” and “Protein Synthesis: Translation”: http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/anthropology/stein2003/stein.html
- 16 Real Video or QuickTime videos on Cracking the Code of Life: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/genome/program.html#
- Life’s Greatest Miracle videos (8) on Real Video or Quick Time about reproduction: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/miracle/program.html
- Good animation with audio of “Protein Synthesis”: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072437316/student_view0/chapter15/animations.html#
- Properties of biomolecules and from genes to proteins: http://www.phschool.com/science/biology_place/biocoach/bioprop/intro.html