Chapter 10: Mendel and Meiosis
Chapter 10 Outline (word doc).
Section 10.1 Resources:
- “What Is Heredity?” section launcher movie.
- Cross different varieties of peas with this “Monohybrid Cross” animation.
- Experiment with “Mendel’s Peas” in this Web Lab.
Section 10.2 Resources:
- “Meiosis” animation.
- “Mendel and Meiosis” review.
- “Mendel and Meiosis” word search puzzle (word doc).
- “Mendel and Meiosis” crossword puzzle (word doc).
- Online “Mendel and Meiosis” matching game.
Links to go further
- A meiosis tutorial that includes: http://www.biology.arizona.edu/cell_bio/tutorials/meiosis/main.html
- Animation comparing mitosis and meiosis: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/baby/divi_flash.html
- Meiosis animation: http://www.rothamsted.bbsrc.ac.uk/notebook/courses/guide/movie/meiosis.htm
- mitosis and meiosis movies: http://www.mhhe.com/socscience/anthropology/stein2003/stein.html
- Meiosis animation: http://www.csuchico.edu/~jbell/Biol207/animations/meiosis.html
- Another meiosis animation: http://www.lewport.wnyric.org/jwanamaker/animations/meiosis.html
- An animated comparison of mitosis and meiosis: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/baby/divide.html#
- Animations with audio of meiosis and the comparison between meiosis and mitosis: http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072437316/student_view0/. . .
- Several good heredity activities along with worksheets and videos: http://www.pbs.org/americanfieldguide/teachers/flowers/flowers_unit.html#2
- Punnett square tutorial: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square
- Monohybrid cross problem set: http://www.biology.arizona.edu/mendelian_genetics/problem_sets/monohybrid_cross/
- Tour the basics of DNA and heredity: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/basics/tour/