Chapter 18: Viruses and Bacteria
Chapter 18 Outline (word doc).
Section 18.1 Resources:
- “Is a Virus a Living Thing?” section launcher movie.
Section 18.2 Resources:
- Complete “The Virtual Bacterial I.D. Lab.”
- “Viruses and Bacteria” review.
- “Viruses and Bacteria” crossword puzzle.
- An internet WebQuest on “Investigating Disease and Prevention.”
Links to go Further:
- Watch bacteria dividing on this “Bacteria Cam”: http://www.cellsalive.com/cam2.htm
- “Cells Alive” microbiology: http://www.cellsalive.com/toc.htm#microbiol
- The mycobacteria: http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/mmi/lsteyn/lecture.html
- Microbial life and astrobiology: http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/extreme/astrobiology/index.html
- Thermophiles : http://www.nps.gov/yell/publications/pdfs/handbook/ch4.pdf
- The flu epidemic of 1918: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/influenza/peopleevents/pandeAMEX88.html
- Agents of bioterror: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bioterror/agents.html
- “The Brain Eater,” mad cow disease: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/2505braineater.html
- Food safety tips: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/madcow/tips.html
- What are bacteria and viruses? http://www.beyondbooks.com/lif72/2.asp
- Bacteria vs viruses: http://www.mansfieldct.org/schools/MMS/staff/hand/. . . .
- When E. coli has a virus: http://www.cellsalive.com/phage.htm
- Watch the movie “Osmosis Jones” in which Frank Detomello catches a cold. The inside of his body is known as the “City of Frank” to its inhabitants, two of which – white blood cell cop Osmosis Jones, and cold tablet Drixorial – team up to fight the invading viruses intent on taking over the City. Then do “The Biology of ‘Osmosis Jones'” worksheet.